THE BEST FAMILY HOLIDAYS IN TOPSHAM
To view a superb range of family holidays currently available in Topsham please scroll down.
WHY HOLIDAY IN TOPSHAM?
Topsham is a beautiful, quaint estuary-side town which retains a unique character and is a popular spot for holidaymakers and families. The town is rich with history (much of which can be appreciated at the free museum) with iconic buildings such as St Margaret’s church dating back to the 10th century. The town was originally the main port for the region and this is very apparent in its maritime feel and architecture.
Here are the top 10 things we love about holidays in Topsham:
- Everything you need on your doorstep with no need to drive
- An idyllic village with excellent shops and restaurants
- Wonderful outdoor heated swimming pool
- Excellent train, bus and road connections
- On the cycle trail + numerous walks nearby
- Lots of parks, tennis courts, kids play areas and plenty of activities going on during the holiday season
- Boat trips possible to nearby destinations (The Turf Pub, Exmouth and more)
- Darts farm (rated best farm shop in the UK!) is on your doorstep – great for shopping and a full day out
- Beautiful architecture and scenic views over countryside and estuary
- Many of Devon’s best attractions are less than a 20 minute journey by train or car
The town is rich with history (much of which can be appreciated at the free museum) with iconic buildings such as St Margaret’s church dating back to the 10th century. The town was originally the main port for the region and this is very apparent in its maritime feel and architecture.
These days the town still retains much of its character but services the needs of many families, young and old, with a fantastic and wide-ranging selection of shops, restaurant, cafes, bars, museums and more. Find out more in our short holiday guide below – for accommodation in the area click on one of the holiday properties featured on this page.
Things to do on a family holiday in Topsham
- Parks and walks. Whether its a short stroll with the little ones or a late hike to send them to sleep – Topsham has plenty of options. There are 2 main parks, both with excellent facilities. “The rec” next to the estuary provides the biggest range of things to do whilst the smaller park next to the swimming pool is ideal for little ones. For walks the best options are:
- a stroll along the estuary path (the lighter or passage pubs being a great spot for a stop off
- the goat walk – an iconic walk that loops around past the bird reserve (its a little bumpy here and around 3 miles for a full loop so go prepared)
- wonder down to Darts Farm. With its excellent facilities including a play area and big open spaces + the awesome farm shop (be prepared for some eye-watering prices!), it’s easy to spend a day whiling away the hours here.
- Play areas. The play cafe (on the Rugby ground) has a well-equipped play area which is open most of the time (check Facebook for details)
- Cycle trails. Topsham is located right on the exe cycle trail which gives easy access to some beautiful local villages on dedicated trails (almost traffic free). Bring your own bike or head down to route 2 for the best deals on bike hire. Darts farm also offers bike hire and have larger child two carriers available.
- Nearby attractions. For a full day out (and many places offer the chance to return on multiple days) there are some excellent options nearby. Crealy park is the closest at around 5-10 minutes drive and has plenty to entertain every age in every weather. Going slightly further afield other options include:
- World of Country Life (15 min drive) – indoor and outdoor play areas for all weathers right by the coast
- Bicton Park Gardens (15 min drive) – stunning botanical gardens with numerous play areas. Mainly outdoor though some indoor options. A very peaceful escape in spectacular surroundings.
- Powderham Castle (around a 25 min drive) – 600 year old castle stacked with fascinating historical interests and plenty of cute animals.
- Treasure trails. Available in most south-west holiday destinations (including Topsham) the trails are a great option for family exploration. Most are usually around 2 miles in length and suite ages of 6 upwards (though younger helpers are always welcome). Find the Topsham trail here.
- Swimming. The outdoor pool at Topsham is a real treat. Walking distance from any accommodation and chlorine free it’s the perfect place for a cooling dip.
- Exeter Quay. Easily accessed by bike, train or car the thriving quay in Exeter has something for everyone. The outdoor centre at Haven banks is extremely well kitted out and nearby you will find a climbing wall (suitable for aged 4 and up), wonderful restaurants and a few spots to hire kayaks and paddle boards to explore the estuary.
- Nearby places to visit. Take advantage of the excellent transport connections to explore one of the wonderful nearby towns and villages including:
- Exeter. The buzzing capital of the Southwest has heaps going on for all ages and RAMM (the museum) is top rated and free! It’s around a 20 min train ride, 35 min bike ride and easily accessed by road (Though traffic can be a nightmare).
- Exmouth. This popular seaside resort is crammed with attractions, bars, restaurants and more. It has a beautiful sandy beach and a fast developing marina. Other highlights of the area include the award winning River Exe Cafe and there is also excellent watersports options here as one of the UK’s leading kite surfing destinations. It’s around 15-20 mins by car but the direct train (15 mins) is a great option on a busy summers day.